Monday, May 29, 2006

Best Friends

As per Dawn’s question, to my post regarding losing my fingernail, I shall relive my years growing up with all the best friends that have come and gone.

There are some people in this world that have been fortunate enough to keep the same best friends from their youth all the way into adulthood and maybe into their senior years. Others, like me, have gone through best friends like a person would with socks. Okay, not quite, but you get the point.

Ah yes! Kindergarten. I remember my first best friend ever was a friendly girl named Nadia. She and I were inseparable, from playing in the class to playing in the playground during recess. We only got into an argument once and it only lasted a couple hours; to be honest, I don’t even recall what the argument was about. That friendship only lasted a year because my family and I moved to a different area of Edmonton and I had begun a new school.

In grade 1 I quickly became friends with a lovely boy named Michael. He would also be my first “boyfriend”. We were like “peas and carrots” or so Forrest Gump would say. For some reason, Michael was a bit of a bully so none of the children liked him a whole lot, but he was always wonderful to me. We went through a short period where we were slightly upset with each other. It started because I became friends with another boy named Brandon who lived in the same townhouse complex as me. Once Michael got over it, he and I got married in a snow castle in winter. In fact, I still have the ring he gave me – a beautiful, heart-shaped, plastic pink ring. That marriage lasted 3 years. The only reason it ended was because his parents got divorced, his mom re-married a Hulk Hogan look-a-like and he got sent away with his dad. A couple of years ago I heard that Michael became a Gap model for their commercials.

Then there was Anna. I can’t quite remember how long we were best friends, but I’m thinking it was around four years. We did everything together and even buried a time capsule to open when we were 20-something. That friendship ended a few months after I moved to Calgary. Back in the day before email, we wrote each other quite often until one day she stopped responding. Eh, oh well.

Hah. Then there was Veronica. We were best friends for about a year or so. Then came grade 7 and she went all Commando Bitch.

Hrmm… then there was Brianna. Best friends for about a year. Until I snapped out of it and realized that I no longer liked getting in trouble with the law and ditched her as a friend. Definitely a smart decision on my part.

Then, there was Celine – the friend that caused me to lose a fingernail. She and I were best friends like there were no other. We were all, woooh yah! bbf 4 evah! We did everything together and were stuck like glue. You know those high school girls that you see wearing the same thing or had matching bags? Yeah, that was us. (Please note: Yeah, I am totally ashamed of it now.) She and I were best friends until mid-grade 12, then the falling out. It all started when Celine, and another friend of ours, did not like how I kept “stealing” all the guys that they liked. First of all, it’s not “stealing” when the guys were the ones asking me out. Cannot be helped! Well, I guess the breaking point for them (after “stealing” Trevor (aka hot punk rocker with mohawk); Scott (aka Scottie the Hottie); and some other guy who’s name I can’t remember (aka guy I can’t remember) )was when I started dating Jason #1. Looking back on it, I should have let them have him because MY GOD that would have saved me the trouble of “Jason’s”. Anyway, Celine and other friend decided to go around and spread the rumour that I was a slut (HAHAHAHA. Honestly? So far off.) and that I was psychotic. Teehee. Okay, maybe I could see the latter. Once I found out about this rumour, I said, “Fuck off” and that was the end of it between Celine and me.

As of today, I have managed to keep three best friends that I love dearly, two of which have been my longest friendships to date.

There is Miranda (aka Whitey). She and I were friends in grade 9 through to grade 12. As of right now, she is one of the two friends I have maintained since high school. She and I both find it fascinating that we managed to stay best friends, especially considering we weren’t very close in high school and our personalities can clash quite a bit.

Then there is Derek. I have been best friends with this guy for four years now. He is like the brother I never had and he has always been there for me when I needed him. I, without a doubt, could not ask for a better friend than him.

Or could I? Because my all-time bestest friend in the whoooole wide world is Jamie. Not only do we have quite a history together (nearly 6 years of history) but we even have quite a story to tell on how we became friends. He means the universe to me and I would be completely lost without him. He is the first person I go to when I’m upset or happy and when I’m angry he’s the first person I’ll go to punch (yes punch, but at least it’s mutual – I’m there when he needs someone to punch).

And so that ends my insane list of best friends throughout the years. Best friends that I wish I could have kept in touch with would be Michael and Anna, and I certainly hope that I will maintain my friendship with Whitey, Derek and Jamie.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes I had a bff in high-school too. Actually two of them. We keep in touch (one comments on my blog) But we don't actively participate in each other's lives anymore. That's the way it goes.
That sucks about the slut rumors though. That is always the rumor in high-school.

11:27 a.m.  
Blogger AJ said...

"That is always the rumor in high-school." So very, very true. Well, the slut rumour and the tuna rumour... err... that's a whole other story (thankfully this tuna rumour does not involve me - ick).

11:45 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web hit counter